Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Niagara Falls


Nostalgia Series # 01: Niagara Falls 1984

A Panaromic view showing the Horseshoe Falls on far right.
Photo Image: Courtesy of Wikipedia

A group of us made a trip to the Niagara Falls from NY. We touched down in Buffalo which was about 27km from the Falls and then proceeded by coach. The Falls comprise the American Falls on the American side and the Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side.
The Falls . Picture taken from the Canadian side. Hank having passed the Immigration and walking towards the Horseshoe Falls
The Tunnel: Access to the back of the Horseshoe Falls beneath the surface were through elevators and tunnels. We were garbed in raincoats as it was wet and cold.
The Observation Deck: The Fall seen in the background
Hank at the Observation Deck
Hank with my Korean buddy. This was snapped upon returning from the Canadian side. We decided then to take the boat cruise on the American side.
Boat Cruise on the American side: View of the boat berthed below waiting for tourists
River Level American side: We descended to the river banks below to take the cruise.
Boat Cruise with Lee: We took the boat cruise as a consolation for Lee. Lee was prevented from going over to the Canadian side because his Korean passport was issued with a single entry visa. He had to wait for us to return in the afternoon to the American side before some of us took the cruise with him.
Rainbow Image: Hank snapped this photo to capture the rainbow with the other boat in the background.
Submitted for 10DoM



































22 comments:

JeffScape said...

White Lies Belie a Darker Truth?

I don't get it.

Looks like fun, though.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Looks like you had a good time, a wonderful post.

Thanks for the visit and comment.
Yvonne.

PattiKen said...

Nice pictures, but I don't see the fit for this muse.

Unspoken said...

Um, I am a little lost, but want to find my way :).

kaykuala said...

Ms PattiKen and She Writes,
I'm embarking on a nostalgia trip of old images that I have. I submitted this to DoM as this blog mentioned it would take prose,poetry,photos anything at all.

Al-Manar said...

Hank,

This is more down-to-earth as far as IU am converned. I have no need to go beyond what the words say. As for poetry, well ..... let's say it asn't my cup of tea.

PattiKen said...

Hello, kaykuala,

Yes, the 10thDoM site does say it accepts anything at all; if it fits the Muse, it is welcome. The Muse this time is "White Lies Belie a Darker Truth."

You photographs, while interesting, don't have anything to do with white lies or a darker truth. That's why those of us who came by way of 10thDoM sound so confused.

If the pictures were taken to illustrate the muse in a clear way, we'd be happy to welcome you to the competition. (I'd suggest that you read the rules on the site under "How It Works" and the FAQs first, though.) But given that your objective is a "nostalgia trip of old images," I think you'd find a photography site of some sort more appropriate.

kaykuala said...

I had unwittingly disregarded and missed the rules and 'fine prints' so to speak.
Future postings would be relevant to the muse.
Thanks for putting things right.

Anonymous said...

Very nice images of nigra falls....Wedding Photography Niagara Falls

Tom said...

havent been to the Falls in many a year...must rectify such in due course...looks good, stay dry and continued joy in future travels...dot dot dot.

Unknown said...

Rules, smules. It's obvious Lee is a spy.

Not For Jellyfish said...

Odd... I saw the post and noticed that each of the photos had interesting shades of dark and white, which I thought appropriate to the muse. Probably would have made more sense without the captions - or with fictional narrative. Either way, nice photos.

Brian Miller said...

sounds like a wonderful trip...glad you jumped in and look forward to seeing what you submit in the future...

kaykuala said...

Thank you All,
You have all been forgiving. I am now obliged to respond with some relevant postings. I will by and by!

Tara R. said...

I'm new to DoM also, and feel a bit lost too. Your photos are still lovely.

flaubert said...

Nice, Kaykuala. I've been there many times myself. I'm feeling a bit homesick :(

Pamela

kaykuala said...

Tara Ma'am,
Nice of you to drop by. I would imagine you would be contributing to DoM shortly? We'll see you there then!

kaykuala said...

Pamela Ma'am,
I've been only once but it is true, it's fascinating and intimidating. Being homesick can be remedied by going back another time, yes?
Mexico must be lovely to entice you and keep you there for so long.The nearest I got was just across the border, at Tijuana. It was just a few hours extension of our LA visit some years ago.
Hank

ninotaziz said...

I first saw Niagara Falls on my 18th birthday. It was lovely - no, lovely is an understatement and does not do justice at all to its thunderous crashing white water splendour.

Since then, I visited the Falls again and again - in winter, in the summer, in spring.

But somehow, its beauty in autumn, when I first encountered the Falls, elude me.

kaykuala said...

Ninot Ma'am,
Yes, it is out of this world. Beautiful and intimidating. I saw it in Spring. How different it would be in Winter, I wonder!

TALON said...

Wonderful photographs. This brought back so many fine memories - I grew up in Niagara Falls. :)

kaykuala said...

Ms Talon,
Paradise at your doorstep, how nice!