Thursday, November 18, 2010

Auntie Jane's Unfinished Story



The Attic


It’s creepy. It’s eerie

It’s full of knick knacks

Throwaways most of them

Auntie Jane was such a darling

‘none to be disposed of, you hear me’?

Was it an order or a desperate plea

Never had the chance to know for sure

She passed on and nobody dared

and nobody tried

The old tennis racket, its guts snapped

The broken frame stood its ground

Uncle Joe’s tool box, atop his soiled overalls, smeared

Nothing’s changed, nothing’s disturbed

John, had not ventured in for decades

He did not want to be surprised at finding something weird

Alice his sister though closer to their mother was all jitters talking about it

‘I want to see what’s in there but dear mother stopped us’

Was it a mere excuse or was it untold fright

Heard say there were skeletons inside

Long ago Uncle Joe’s farm-hand, Jack , apparently defied the odds

The moment he stepped in he threw up gave a loud squeal and dead he dropped

Thereafter, no one dared venture in

It was left, dark, drab, and cold within

But I’m one not fearful of ghosts though , I’m just curious

What’s inside I must see, yes , the day is today

Not a second longer, it is now

‘Hear ye apparitions, I’m coming in, I’ve made a vow

Neither hell, fire nor high water is going to stop me’

I’ve made up my mind come what may

This is it, I’m slowly making my way,

Up the rickety steps, of old wooden planks

That creaked under my weight

I’m now at the door, I dusted the knob

turned it, nothing happened

Needs another stronger twist I imagine

Stronger this time and,

‘ Wham!’

All hell broke loose.

‘Who wrenched away at the door, huh?’

That’s awfully rude of you

Okay, you’re back from your graveyard shift

But have some consideration, please!

I was on to something

But you startled me from sleep

It could have developed into an interesting dream!


Submitted for Willow's Magpie 41 and Jingle's Poetry Potluck - Magic & Miracles

28 comments:

Other Mary said...

I didn't expect the turn you took! :o)

Stafford Ray said...

So was the whole construct a dream? Was there ever an Auntie Jane? You are so cruel!

kaykuala said...

Mary, I didn't expect it myself. As things developed somehow it went that direction.

kaykuala said...

Stafford Sir, You have a tendency to make witty comments, a different stance from others. I like it. Thanks buddy!

Amanda Moore said...

OMG the ending.... I was getting ready for the worst the BAM! Oh that was great fun!

ninotaziz said...

Stafford is always so much fun, his blog too.

That was why he was the only blogger date chosen to the cyber event Willow Ball this year amidst all the movie stars, dead and alive!

I'll be waiting for the 'lost touch' to come back. Auntie Jane's attic for inspiration?

BTW, that's how dreams are - they sort of meander here and there in unexpected directions!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

you have beautiful imaginations.

kaykuala said...

Amanda Ma'am,
Nice of you to drop by! Thanks.

kaykuala said...

Ninot Ma'am,
Stafford is great. Been following his blog. Yes, Ma'am the lost touch is a challenge. A less eerie one for inspiration. Being a 'seni' person you let out 'discoveries' for others, appreciate that. 'dreams are made of these'- Boy George

kaykuala said...

Jingle,
Thanks for the visit!

The Blog of Bee said...

That always happens in dreams - just when you're really getting down to the nitty gritty either someone wakes you up or the alarm goes off. Nice read!

kaykuala said...

thanks Bee, absolutely!

Reflections said...

Love to see come what may, within the worlds of our dreams... a definite surprise tho.

kaykuala said...

Petrina Ma'am,
It would be fun. Tho' it has been said dreams are reflections of the sub-conscious.

Tess Kincaid said...

Don't you love when you can drift back into a dream and take up where you left off? It happens to me, but only rarely. Nice write.

Rashmi said...

Beautiful poem..never expected such an ending..

kaykuala said...

Willow,
Yes, It did happen. You may be able to influence it but only just. It would drift away again in no time.

kaykuala said...

Rashmi,
Thanks for dropping by.

Rajlakshmi said...

the dream wa sscaryyyy :D
loved it :D

Anita Magdalena said...

An excellent expression of the realism of dreams, I dream vividly and often, I am so relieved I wake before they reach their end. Well done.

Anita.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

This is so well executed. Love it.

kaykuala said...

Raj,Aquarius,Julie
Sometimes we make it to end fast, especially the horror ones. Thank you all.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

Thanks for beaming potluck with a piece of your fine art.
rich and beautiful content,
enjoyed your style.

TALON said...

lol! I loved it! Wasn't prepared for the ending - I really thought the ghost was waiting! :)

kaykuala said...

Talon Ma'am,
Thanks. Returned your visit. Admired your lovely pics and poem in one posting every time.

Shashidhar Sharma said...

Kaukuala
Very interesting and great ending... I enjoyed reading it...

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com

kaykuala said...

Shashi,
Thanks for the visit. Seen your blog, very informative.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

week 11 potluck awards/treats 4 u

Thanks for the beautiful contribution to week 11, hope to see you next Monday!
Happy Thursday!
Happy Thanksgiving Holiday if you celebrate!